Community

Nothing like some awesome news to get me back to my blog: I was forwarded this blog post by Budd Hall this morning: It comes from The Conversation, an Australian initiative. Launched in March 2011, The Conversation is an independent source of information, analysis and commentary from the university and research sector. “Prestigious US academic […]

Continue reading about Princeton bans academics from handing all copyright to journal publishers

“Intellectual property sounds an innocuous enough idea, but patents and copyright have recently been stirring up a lot of strife. Peter Day finds out why copyright in particular is such a contentious issue in the internet age.” I caught this on my BBC listener this morning on my way to work. I thought it was […]

Continue reading about Take A Copy – BBC Global Business show on Copyright

Jane on July 7th, 2011

The University-Community Engagement Conference 2012 takes place from 9-12 January in Chiang Mai, Thailand. From their website: Universities in the 21st century are at an important crossroad. With a projected student population of 200 million by 2030, universities do have the potential of making a difference to local and global concerns. While universities have to […]

Continue reading about UCEC 2012

On April 6, 2011, Noam Chomsky spoke at UTSC on Academic Freedom and the Corporatization of Universities. Noam Chomsky is one of America’s leading scholars and intellectuals. A prolific author, lecturer, and activist, Chomsky is currently an Institute Professor in the Department of Linguistics and Philosophy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His talk ought […]

Continue reading about Noam Chomsky spoke at UTSC on Academic Freedom and the Corporatization of Universities.

Jane on June 6th, 2011

If you have ever wondered about the case for Open Data… just read this article that appeared in the comment section of the Lancet … Science as a public enterprise; the case for open data. By: Boulton, Geoffrey; Rawlins, Michael; Vallance, Patrick; Walport, Mark. Lancet, 5/14/2011, Vol. 377 Issue 9778, p1633-1635, 3p “The past half-century […]

Continue reading about Lancet gets it!