Princeton bans academics from handing all copyright to journal publishers

Nothing like some awesome news to get me back to my blog:

I was forwarded this blog post by Budd Hall this morning:

It comes from The Conversation, an Australian initiative. Launched in March 2011, The Conversation is an independent source of information, analysis and commentary from the university and research sector.

“Prestigious US academic institution Princeton University has banned researchers from giving the copyright of scholarly articles to journal publishers, except in certain cases where a waiver may be granted.

The new rule is part of an Open Access policy aimed at broadening the reach of their scholarly work and encouraging publishers to adjust standard contracts that commonly require exclusive copyright as a condition of publication….”

… read the rest of The Conversation post and go to the Open Access Report at the Princeton University website to learn more about scholarly communication at Princeton.

Take A Copy – BBC Global Business show on Copyright

“Intellectual property sounds an innocuous enough idea, but patents and copyright have recently been stirring up a lot of strife.

Peter Day finds out why copyright in particular is such a contentious issue in the internet age.”

I caught this on my BBC listener this morning on my way to work. I thought it was a nicely balanced look at the battle between the owners and the right of the common. Definitely worth a listen.

Go to the BBC broadcast page.

(28 minutes)

UCEC 2012

The University-Community Engagement Conference 2012 takes place from 9-12 January in Chiang Mai, Thailand. From their website:

Universities in the 21st century are at an important crossroad. With a projected student population of 200 million by 2030, universities do have the potential of making a difference to local and global concerns. While universities have to produce graduates who have skills to operate effectively in a globally competitive environment, it is also widely recognized that its fundamental challenge is to provide an ethical knowledge base responsive to societal needs, and contribute to the common wealth (not just financial or economic wealth) and well-being of its entire people. Indeed the complexities of our unsustainable societies can present new opportunities (as well as challenges) for universities to reclaim their relevance and responsibility to society.

Objectives

To deepen critical discourse on empowerment role of universities and their knowledge creation practice;
To explore methods, strategies and experiences used in mutual social engagement and partnership among different sectors;
To strengthen the capacity of universities in the process of social reform for social justice and sustainable development;
To enhance networking, and the sharing of experiences among educators, communities as well as social development practitioners and to show best-practice cases of university-community engagement of various types.

The keynote speaker will be The Venerable Dhammanandha Bhikuni.

Read more here.

Noam Chomsky spoke at UTSC on Academic Freedom and the Corporatization of Universities.

Noam Chomsky speaks at U Toronto Sc
On April 6, 2011, Noam Chomsky spoke at UTSC on Academic Freedom and the Corporatization of Universities.

Noam Chomsky is one of America’s leading scholars and intellectuals. A prolific author, lecturer, and activist, Chomsky is currently an Institute Professor in the Department of Linguistics and Philosophy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

His talk ought to be interesting to anyone interested in Open Access. The conflict between the Corporatization of Universities and those who value community engagement and Open Access to scholarship is striking and not to be ignored.

Did you know he is the most cited living scholar?

Watch it on Youtube here.

Lancet gets it!

If you have ever wondered about the case for Open Data… just read this article that appeared in the comment section of the Lancet …

Science as a public enterprise; the case for open data. By: Boulton, Geoffrey; Rawlins, Michael; Vallance, Patrick; Walport, Mark. Lancet, 5/14/2011, Vol. 377 Issue 9778, p1633-1635, 3p

“The past half-century has seen a breathtaking surge in scientific discovery. We have put satellites into orbit and probed the universe; we have discovered the chemical structure of living organisms and learned to manipulate it; we have been able to read the Earth’s history in minute detail from ice-sheet and ocean cores; and we have improved human and animal health through increasingly large epidemiological studies and clinical trials. All of these achievements have necessitated new ways of collecting, storing, manipulating, and transmitting information that far surpass anything previously dreamed of. ….

Got access? Read it here.